History Book Club Information
History book clubs allow history buffs to share their passion for the past with others and discover new books they'll enjoy.
Types of Historical Literature
Today's historical literature offers a unique glimpse into the past, helping ancient civilizations, exciting battles, and religious stories come to life. Popular historical literature topics include:
- Civil War
- World War I and II
- Revolutionary War
History Book Groups
One way to explore your love of historical books is to start or joining a history book group.
Like traditional book clubs, this book group would meet every so often, typically once a month, bi-monthly or quarterly, to discuss a reading selection.
This is a great way to share your opinions about the books you read and learn what others thought about it as well.
Starting a group like this is easier than you think. Find out how in our starting a book club guide.
History Reading Recommendations
There is a wide range of outstanding historical books on the market today. Some of the best have won major awards, like the Pulitzer Prize for Non-Fiction or the National Book Award for Non-Fiction. Historical books winning these awards include:
- The Hemingses of Monticello by Annette Gordon-Reed
- Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner
- The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan
- Master of the Senate by Robert A. Caro
- Slavery by Another Name by Douglas A. Blackmon
- The Years of Extermination: Nazi Germany and the Jews by Saul Friedlander
- The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright
- Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA by Steve Coll
More History Book Recommendations
Another way to find good book recommendations is through an online book club like the History Book Club, a membership site you sign up for.
Also, consider asking your local librarian if the library publishes any email newsletters or has any websites with history book recommendations.
Return from History Book Clubs to Types of Book Clubs.